Today I’m switching it up a little. I love sharing photography & travel posts, but I want to incorporate more of myself into my brand and my business. This is hard for me – I’m an introvert, and have always struggled talking about myself with other people! But here’s to putting myself out there, and trying something new 🙂 I hope you can get to know me a little bit better, and I hope I can get to know you better too! So, let’s get started!
10 Things You Don’t Know About Me
1. I’ve attended four different universities! (My life has been a bit crazy and complicated.) I’ve attended the University of Mary Washington, Southern Virginia University, George Mason University, and Brigham Young University. I’ve still managed to graduate within 5 years though – with breaks in between for a mission, moving across the country, and getting married. It was an INCREDIBLE experience to go to school on the east coast, and meet so many different people and professors. I’ll write a blog post in the future talking more about this!
2. I am totally a city person! The art, museums, diverse people, and countless things to see and do make me feel happy and alive. I love that there’s always something happening. London, Paris, NYC, and DC are some of my favorite cities! My dream place to live is a nice unique house with a lot of land, close enough to a city that we can go out for the night, but far enough that we have some space between us and our neighbors. It might be a lot to ask for, but I think we can find it 🙂
3. I have always been a “yes” girl, which meant I said yes to everything. Then during my Junior year of college, I said yes to way too many things. I was a full time photo student at BYU, a photographer for Called to Surf (with around 20 hours of photography & editing weekly), and a photographer for Costa Vida (which was another 20 or so hours of shooting and editing weekly). It was exhausting and so stressful! I ended up getting shingles that Christmas because of the stress that time had on my body. Ever since that happened, I’ve learned the value of time and saying no. Now I try to only say yes to things I love, and within a reasonable amount. And guess what? My life is simpler, happier, and I still have amazing opportunities 🙂
4. I’ve always been an artist. When I was younger I drew and painted, and was even invited to illustrate a children’s book. (I still regret not doing that!) I built a desk for my 7th grade art class, and wood burned designs into the sides, and made a mosaic tile desktop for it. Along with this, I also sculpted little clay people and fairies, and sold them in an antique store. Creating and sharing my art has always been a part of me!
5. This isn’t super unique, but I LOVE the shows Parks and Rec and The Office. I’ve probably watched both series 3+ times through. Their my favorite veg on the couch and don’t think about anything shows.
6. I love listening to podcasts! My favorites are The Minimalists, You’re Not the Boss of Me, and Goal Diggers.
7. I was so nervous to get a dog! Growing up we rarely had a dog for longer than a few years, and I wanted to have one that we would have for it’s whole life. It was a lot of pressure to try and find one, knowing it was a 12+ year commitment! However Chris and I did a lot of research, and always talked about getting a shih tzu, because his family dog growing up was such a great family dog. One day we were on Facebook and saw these cute puppies for sale, half shih tzu, for a really good price. Within 15 minutes we were driving down to Payson to pick up a new dog! It was the best spontaneous decision we’ve ever made! Rudy is a sweet little part of our family now, and we love him so much!
8. I’m type 1 diabetic! I found out I had it when I was 12. I weighed about 45 lbs, and was sickly skinny. We were moving across the country, from New Jersey to Colorado, and stopped in Indiana to visit family. While we were there I felt SO sick, and my family took me to the emergency room. It was there that I found out I was diabetic. It was really difficult, but I knew it was something I had to live with. I gave myself my first shot on my second day in the hospital, and did shots for over a year. Now I have an insulin pump, which is like an IV that is always attached to me. I love having a pump – it gives me a lot more freedom in what and when I can eat!
9. I love gardening! We grow tomatoes, squash, strawberries, peppers, herbs, succulents, and cute ferns. Getting my hands dirty and smelling the dirt is so relaxing! This probably comes from growing up with parents who love having a garden, and growing up on a little farm.
10. When I was little I believed in unicorns. I remember renting a book at the library that had photos of unicorns that proved that they were real haha. This was probably my first experience seeing something created in Photoshop that I loved! I was always so mad that my parents wouldn’t give me a pet unicorn! Luckily we often had ponies and horses growing up, which for a horse loving girl was just the best!
Well, there’s 10 things you don’t know about me! I hope these things gave you a bit of insight into me and my life. Reading things like this from people I follow is so fun, because I love learning more about them and their lives. I hope you’ve enjoyed my version!